Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Volcanic Necks

15 Oct 2014

I wanted to fly both the 'volcanic necks' and the Valle Caldera, but couldn't identify any airfield close enough....  So I just went near there and started looking for a road that would suit....  Finding suitable roads is really difficult, due to traffic, laws, and access that allows setup of the aircraft without disrupting traffic....  But this time I was really lucky.  Drove thro a lot of Indian land (private property) and found a suitable piece of road in BLM land (public land).  With a convenient place to pull off the road and set up the aircraft....

There was range cattle on the land, and next morning just as I was ready to go, two bulls started to fight nearby.....   They bellowed and torn up the ground, and I hoped they didn't tear up my aircraft, but they were so occupied that they didn't notice me, so I set up and easily took off from the road, and flew to the volcanic necks.



On the way to the 'volcanic necks', rugged and remote....

Glad to find this road on the left, after the remote and rugged terrain...





 I had expected the 'volcanic necks'  to be more slim and vertical,
but they're a lot like the 'Glasshouse Mountains' back home in Queensland...
as shown below, early morning....

More rock forms....

And more gulleys....



I tried to get to the Valle Caldera from this southern side,
but this narrow valley with only this narrow busy road for outlanding possibility,
was too much of a risk, so I turned back.....
Very disappointing and discouraging to have to turn back.....
So I'm not a bold pilot,
but I guess that's why I'm still an old pilot......
75 y.o. last month and I plan to keep on flying safely for some time to come...




Back on the ground safe and sound.....



Nearby was all these empty shell casings, and heaps more.

And this rubbish...

And this target practice....

There was gunfire nearby heard almost all the time that I was camped there.....
I don't mind the shooting, but please leave nothing behind on public land....
And some of these same people complain about 'loss of freedom' 
by being denied access to such public lands....
With freedom comes responsibility.

 













No comments:

Post a Comment