Saturday, November 8, 2014

SP volcano, Arizona

11 Sep 2014

I discovered this SP Volcano while researching in Australia.  Got really excited by the images that I found on Google.  Got even more interested when I found out that the 'SP' designation is an abbreviation of the name that the pioneers gave it - The 'Shit Pot' volcano, cause to them it looked like a pot that had overflowed.....

It's a very classic volcanic cone.




It doesn't smell....

More volcanic cones nearby
and Humphreys Peak, tallest in Arizona, in background.


Sunset Crater volcano

You'll be seeing a lot more volcanoes and lava flows, cause I find them fascinating....


Part of the Painted Desert


This is a very deep hole that I found in otherwise completely featureless desert....
Couldn't see the bottom....
No clues around to show how it formed....


This is the old abandoned airstrip that I found on Google Maps while still in Australia.
It's in Navajo country, and suppose I need to ask permission,
but no one anywhere near....
Just what I've been wanting to find....



After a fine day of sightseeing flight,
it was great to sit in the silence of the darkening desert,
and watch the lights from all the traffic on the far away highway.
Then the moon rose slowly above the horizon,
as the earth rotated silently.
Exquisite!

No comments:

Post a Comment