Thursday, November 6, 2014

Ship Rock, New Mexico

14 Sep 2014

Ship Rock is a very distinctive feature in the Four Corners area of New Mexico.

It's the core of a volcanic intrusion that happened 3000ft underground, and then the surrounding area has eroded away.

I've been wanting to fly around it for years, and got the perfect opportunity late yesterday afternoon.

This is the result......

Really distinctive are the three radiating dikes.









+




 



It was a real WA-HOOO feeling when I landed, after a flight like that!

I wanted to celebrate with a steak and a beer, instead of my usual canned food, 
so headed into Shiprock town.
But no restaurant to be found, only fast food joints.......  And all of them busy.
And since this is an Indian town on Navajo land, no beer to be had......
It was a long time since I'd had a Big Mac, and I remembered them as being bigger.....
But the bun was still the same soggy blob.....

Such are the ups and downs of life sometimes........











2 comments:

  1. John,

    I am a Geology Professor at Michigan State University. My colleagues and I are writing a geology textbook. I wonder if you'd give me permission to use one of your fantastic photos of Shiprock in the book? I found them on this web page: http://jgflyingroadtrip2014.blogspot.com/2014/09/ship-rock.html Thanks for considering this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only just noticed this comment. I suppose it's way to late to be of benefit to you now, but by all means use any photos.

    ReplyDelete